by Philip Larkin
Church Going Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What is the overall impression of organized religion that this poem gives you? Why do you feel that way?
- According to the speaker of the poem, what are some of the differences between religion and superstition?
- How does the meter and rhyme scheme contribute to the themes that Larkin explores in the poem? (Hint: Check out "Form and Meter" for more on this.)
- Why do you think Larkin title this poem "Church Going"?
- Why does the speaker focus so much on the physical aspects of the church (i.e., the building itself and the "stuff" inside it)?
- How does that natural world figure in here? How might nature relate to religion in this poem?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...