by Kurt Vonnegut
Harrison Bergeron Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What are the benefits to everyone being equal? What are the drawbacks? Should everyone be equal?
- How do you define equality? Are the citizens of the United States in 2081 truly "equal"? How about citizens today?
- Did Harrison's rebellion accomplish anything?
- Why was Harrison able to break the basic laws of gravity after freeing himself from handicaps?
- Why aren't George and Hazel more affected by seeing the death of their son on TV?
- If Harrison were allowed to declare himself Emperor, how do you think he would have changed society? Would it have been better, worse, or the same?
- What handicaps does society impose on people today? Are all talented people encouraged to develop their talents? If so, how? If not, why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...