Chief Creative Officer and Founder
- Favorite lit: Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce
- Little known fact: arrested in Moscow in 1992
- Hidden talent: barbecuing dead things
David has a passion for all things learning, and thinks that anyone making learning not fun should be criminally charged. He graduated with honors in English from Stanford University; studied English literature at Oxford University; received his MFA from USC School of Cinema and Television; and received his MBA from Stanford University. Mr. Siminoff is also a published author and award-winning screenwriter. David has had a storied career at Capital Research Management Company, a division of Capital Group.
President and CEO
- Claim to Fame: been shot
- Loves: chocolate, Super Bowl XLV Champion Green Bay Packers
- Little known fact: Struggles with golf
Ellen is an experienced businessperson and full-time dog lover. She obtained an AB in Economics from Princeton University and an MBA from Stanford University. She was a founding executive and Senior Vice President of Yahoo!, and former Chairman and CEO of Efficient Frontier, now a division of Adobe Corporation.
When she’s not Shmooping or walking her labradoodle, Ellen also serves on the board of directors for SolarWinds and Zynga. In 2005, she was one of eight industry professionals named "Masters of Information" by Forbes magazine.
Chief Technical Officer
- Loves: Snowboarding, Capoeira, Chicago Bears, Bulls, Cubs
- Favorite book: The Once and Future King by T.H. White
- Hidden Talent: losing personal items such as keys, wallets, and phones.
David has been the Chief Technology Officer since 2009. He received his M.S. and B.S. in Computer Engineering at Northwestern University. During his graduate program he was recognized as a member of the Walter P. Murphy Society and has been published several times for his work in network security. Previously, he worked as the Lead Software Engineer at Peanut Labs (acquired by ResearchNow) and as a Systems Modeling Software Engineer at SanDisk. David likes to profess that he operates like a robot, but everyone at Shmoop knows he has a heart of platinum.
VP of Educational Sales & Services
- Loves: Family, Lakers, Surfing, 49ers, MotoGP
- Favorite book: The Firm by John Grisham
- Hidden Talent: I know I could be the next Master Chef
As a devoted dad and a professional jokester, Paul is a firm believer in the mission of Shmoop and loves going into schools and seeing students succeed. Paul is a Silicon Valley veteran who has over 13 years of sales, recruiting, and business development experience at various companies including Efficient Frontier, Razorfish and Southwest Airlines. He has worked closely with teachers and administrators in developing education solutions for schools across the country, including districts in Philadelphia, Chicago, and Florida. He has his BA in communications from San Luis Obispo.
Chief Content Officer
- Loves: good TV, bad TV, other people's dogs
- Favorite book: The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello and anything by Steven Pinker
- Hidden Talent: doing spot-on impressions of choice quotes from Nora Ephron movies
As long as Deb can remember, she’s had an affinity for education and the written word. She has her B.A. and M.A. from Middlebury College and her Ph.D. from Stanford University (Division of Literatures, Cultures, and Languages). Her publication record includes McSweeney's, People magazine (letter-to-the-editor), CarTalk (does that count?), and everyone's favorite quarterly, Renaissance Studies.