When authors refer to other great works, people, and events, it’s usually not accidental. Put on your super-sleuth hat and figure out why.
Literary and Philosophical References
- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations (1.77)
- Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind (5.12, 5.45, 5.69, 8.19, 8.20, 10.60)
- Robert Frost, "Nothing Gold Can Stay" (5.59, 5.61, 12.64)
- Jack London (9.80)
- Harold Robbins, The Carpetbaggers (12.60)
- William Tecumseh Sherman (5.68)
Pop Culture References
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...