Cite This Page
The Outsiders Chapter 10 Summary Page 1
- Dally leaves in the car, and Pony walk around, making himself believe Johnny isn't dead.
- Pony stumbles around for "for hours" (10.2) when a young man in a car stops and offers Pony a ride.
- He asks what happened to Pony and he says he was in a rumble.
- The man tells him that he's "bleedin' all over [his] car seats" (10.6).
- Pony hadn't even realized he was bleeding.
- The man tells him it's his head. When Pony touches it, his hand is covered in blood.
- The man gets Pony's address and drives him home.
- The gang is here, looking pretty wounded from the rumble too.
- Pony is confused.
- He tells them Johnny's dead, even though something inside him doesn't believe it.
- He also tells them Dallas ran off, like he was about to explode.
- Pony realizes that "Johnny was the one thing Dally loved" (10.22).
- Soda and Dally are concerned for Pony and they try to help him to a chair, but he won't let them.
- The phone rings and Darry answers.
- It's Dally on the line. He just robbed a grocery store and is running from the cops.
- He's coming to the lot so the gang can help him hide.
- They get to the lot about the same time as Dally, who's been running as fast as he can.
- They hear the sirens and soon a police car arrives.
- The officer gets out, and Dally takes something out of his waistband.
- Pony remembers Dally telling him and Johnny that he'd started carrying a gun, but that it wasn't loaded.
- Dally brandishes the gun at the policeman.
- The policeman can't know that the gun isn't loaded, Pony realizes.
- The policeman starts firing on Dally, and Pony prays that he won't die too.
- But, he knows that "Dallas Winston wanted to be dead, and he always got what he wanted" (10.33).
- He thinks of Dally saving Johnny from the burning building, and of helping them when they were in trouble.
- He knows the paper won't praise Dally and call him a hero. At least Johnny died honorably.
- The scene "swirl[s] into a mass of colors" (10.37) and then Pony falls to the ground.
- When he wakes up, he finds Soda sitting on the bed watching him.
- He learns he's pretty sick. He asks Soda, "Is Darry sorry I'm sick?" (10.44).
- Soda eyes him oddly and tells him that Darry is indeed sorry. Then he tells him to go back to sleep. Pony's very tired, so he follows suit.
- When Pony next wakes, he's starving and his mouth is very dry.
- He sees Darry sitting in the chair next to him.
- He learns he's been suffering from "exhaustion, shock, [and] a minor concussion" (10.54).
- Suddenly, Pony remembers that Dallas and Johnny are dead.
- He asks how he hurt his head, and Darry reminds him about the guy who was kicking him in the head during the rumble.
- Pony learns that today is Tuesday. He's been sick since Saturday night, the night of the rumble.
- He doesn't remember this, and is immediately worried about everything – missing school, going to court, Dallas.
- He asks Darry if the courts will separate them now and Darry says he doesn't know.
- Darry tells him that he was in the hospital, but he doesn't remember that at all.
- Darry says that Ponyboy kept calling for him and for Soda.
- Pony hopes he really did call for Darry.
- Johnny had given his copy of Gone with the Wind to the nurse, and she'd then given it to Darry so that Pony could have the book.
- It's on the table next to him, but now he doesn't want to read the rest of it.
- Soon Soda wakes up and greets his little brother.
- Darry tells him to be careful with Pony.
- Darry offers to heat some soup and Pony, noticing his hunger, says that would be great.
- But, he and Soda fall asleep before he comes back with it.