ELA: KINDERGARTEN - GRADE 12
LITERACY: GRADES 6 - 12
Standard 3: Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events and explain how specific individuals, ideas, or events interact and develop over the course of the text.
Breakin’ it Down:
Simply said, students have to be able to follow the author’s logic, no matter how many twists and turns the text takes. This standard is about mapping out the author’s main arguments or points. It’s also about finding patterns and connections among those points.
Teach With Shmoop
Tag! You're it.
The links in this section will take you straight to the standard-aligned assignments tagged in Shmoop's teaching guides.
That's right, we've done the work. You just do the clickin...
Teaching Guides Using this Standard
- 1984 Teacher Pass
- A Raisin in the Sun Teacher Pass
- A Rose For Emily Teacher Pass
- A View from the Bridge Teacher Pass
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Teacher Pass
- Antigone Teacher Pass
- Beowulf Teacher Pass
- Brave New World Teacher Pass
- Death of a Salesman Teacher Pass
- Fahrenheit 451 Teacher Pass
- Fences Teacher Pass
- Frankenstein Teacher Pass
- Grapes Of Wrath Teacher Pass
- Great Expectations Teacher Pass
- Hamlet Teacher Pass
- Heart of Darkness Teacher Pass
- Julius Caesar Teacher Pass
- King Lear Teacher Pass
- Lord of the Flies Teacher Pass
- Macbeth Teacher Pass
- Moby Dick Teacher Pass
- Oedipus the King Teacher Pass
- Of Mice and Men Teacher Pass
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Teacher Pass
- Othello Teacher Pass
- Romeo and Juliet Teacher Pass
- Sula Teacher Pass
- The Aeneid Teacher Pass
- The As I Lay Dying Teacher Pass
- The Bluest Eye Teacher Pass
- The Canterbury Tales General Prologue Teacher Pass
- The Canterbury Tales: The Miller's Tale Teacher Pass
- The Canterbury Tales: The Wife of Bath's Prologue Teacher Pass
- The Cask of Amontillado Teacher Pass
- The Catch-22 Teacher Pass
- The Catcher in the Rye Teacher Pass
- The Crucible Teacher Pass
- The Great Gatsby Teacher Pass
- The House on Mango Street Teacher Pass
- The Iliad Teacher Pass
- The Lottery Teacher Pass
- The Metamorphosis Teacher Pass
- The Odyssey Teacher Pass
- The Old Man and the Sea Teacher Pass
- The Scarlet Letter Teacher Pass
- The Tell-Tale Heart Teacher Pass
- Their Eyes Were Watching God Teacher Pass
- Things Fall Apart Teacher Pass
- To Kill a Mockingbird Teacher Pass
- Twilight Teacher Pass
- Wide Sargasso Sea Teacher Pass
- Wuthering Heights Teacher Pass
Teacher Feature: Ideas for the classroom
1. UNDERSTUDY: Text mapping
Teaching the art of outlining a text is a great way to approach this standard. This will force students to slow down and analyze each small section of a longer work. For each section or paragraph, have students write a one-sentence summary before they move on. It will help them master the standard but also help you pinpoint the exact section where students misunderstood what they were reading.
This is also an extremely important skill to have when approaching those 200-page reading assignments in college. Nobody wants to have to re-read those because they didn’t take good notes!
COLLEGIATE: What’s missing?
Assign students an article or non-fiction piece and allow them to annotate and create a text map. Then give them a list of points or main ideas made over the course of the text with one major section or idea missing. First ask students to rearrange the points according to the order in which they were presented. Then, they have to identify the missing sub-topic and write it in.
Quiz QuestionsHere's an example of a quiz that could be used to test this standard.
- Jacques Derrida
- Michel Foucault
- AP English Literature and Composition 1.1 Passage Drill 2
- AP English Language and Composition 2.3 Passage Drill
- SAT Reading 3.4 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 3.5 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 3.7 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 3.8 Long Passages
- Thoreau All By Himself
- What are Shmoop Literary Critic Resources?
- SAT Reading 1.2 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 1.2 Short Passages
- SAT Reading 1.3 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 1.4 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 1.5 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.1 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.1 Short Passages
- SAT Reading 2.2 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.2 Short Passages
- SAT Reading 2.3 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.5 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.6 Long Passages
- SAT Reading 2.7 Long Passages
- Wild Wild Walden
- Teaching A Rose for Emily: Write an Epitaph
- Teaching A Rose for Emily: Comparing Song to Text
- Teaching A Rose for Emily: Put Miss Emily On Trial
- Teaching A Rose for Emily: Dramatizing "A Rose for Emily"
- Teaching A View from the Bridge: Playbill
- Teaching A View from the Bridge: Talk Show
- Teaching A View from the Bridge: Fill in the Symbol
- Teaching 1984: It's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings
- A Clockwork Orange: It's Living, It's breathing, It's Language!
- Teaching A Raisin in the Sun: Dream Collage