by Neil Gaiman
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- When Coraline first arrives in the other world, she's a little freaked out and decides to go back home. What would you have done if you were in Coraline's shoes? Would you have been tempted to stay?
- The other mother created a world that she thought Coraline would want. So what does the other world tell us about Coraline and what she wishes for?
- If you were making a movie version of Coraline (with real people, not animation), who would you cast?
- What books do you think Coraline would enjoy reading, especially after her crazy adventure?
- If someone were creating a dream world for you, what would be in it?
- We don't learn much about the other three children who were trapped by the beldam. Based on the clues we do get, who do you think these children were? What sort of lives did they have?
- We don't meet any of Coraline's friends in the novel. If you could pick another fictional character to be Coraline's friend, who would you pick and why? Our pick is Lucy Pevensie, from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series. Okay, now it's your turn.
- Is there any reason for us to believe that Coraline made up this whole story in her imagination? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...