Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would you read "Girl" differently if it were titled "Mom?"
- What would the text look like if Girl did most of the talking?
- If the girl in "Girl" were a boy, what would Mom be telling him? What if Dad were talking instead?
- The girl in "Girl" seems caught up in a complicated culture that keeps going on from generation to generation. Is there any way for girl to break that cycle?
- Why is Mom so obsessed with her daughter's sexuality? Can you see parallels in today’s world?
- Are there any benefits to the lessons Mom is teaching Girl?
- What kind of upbringing do you think Mom had? Is she speaking from her own experience, or are these rules that her own Mom taught her?