Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would you read "Girl" differently if it were titled "Mom?"
- What would the text look like if Girl did most of the talking?
- If the girl in "Girl" were a boy, what would Mom be telling him? What if Dad were talking instead?
- The girl in "Girl" seems caught up in a complicated culture that keeps going on from generation to generation. Is there any way for girl to break that cycle?
- Why is Mom so obsessed with her daughter's sexuality? Can you see parallels in today’s world?
- Are there any benefits to the lessons Mom is teaching Girl?
- What kind of upbringing do you think Mom had? Is she speaking from her own experience, or are these rules that her own Mom taught her?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search