The Grapes of Wrath
The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 5 Summary
- The landowners and their representatives have to kick tenant farmers off the land. (Tenant farmers are sharecropping families that work the land and give a cut of the profit that comes from the crops to the landowner).
- Because of the drought, the crops have been ruined, and the tenant farmers haven't been able to pay the landowners for the land.
- The landowners are going to grow cotton, a crop that will bleed the soil dry of any remaining moisture and nutrients. Then the landowners plan to sell the land to unsuspecting East-coasters who are hoping to move west.
- The farmers are devastated and can't understand why anyone would kick them off of the land they've been farming for generations.
- The landowners say the bank monster is hungry for money, and that the bank monster can make more money if it replaces an entire farming family with a single tractor. Yikes!
- Tractors invade the land, plowing the soil in preparation for the cotton crops.
- A tractor driver can make $3 a day (good money).
- The farmers recognize the tractor drivers. They are the sons of family friends. They wonder how anyone could betray a community by working for The Man.
- The tractor drivers say that they have to look out for their own best interests; they have to feed their own families.
- The landowners suggest that the tenant farmers move west to California, where there are tons of jobs and where it is always sunny.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search