Paradise Lost Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why did God put the Tree of Knowledge of in Eden?
- How "free" were Adam and Eve if God knew they would fall?
- Why doesn't God just kill Satan rather than keep him around to wreak more havoc?
- How well does Milton "justify the ways of God"?
- Why is Satan sooooooo much cooler than God, Adam, Eve, and just about everybody else in the poem? Yeah, he's the bad guy, but he's so irresistible.
- Why do you think Milton's poetry is so difficult? Do you think if you asked him about it he would agree that it's difficult?
- Can those who aren't as familiar with the Christian religion or Western literature as Milton enjoy Paradise Lost? In other words, can anyone enjoy this poem?