The Joy Luck Club
Cite This Page
The Joy Luck Club Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Which generation of women do you like better? Why? Which generation is stronger?
- What do you think of the parenting in this novel? Which mother do you like best?
- How is America portrayed? Americans?
- What’s the general attitude towards men in this novel?
- There are four different mother-daughter stories presented here. What kernels of Universal Truths About Mothers and Daughters, if any, can you draw out of these stories?
- If you were in Jing-mei’s situation, do you think you would respond the same way, saying you don’t know what to tell your newly found twin sisters because don’t know your mother/father? How much do you really know about your parents? How well can you know them?