Cite This Page
Moby-Dick Chapter 38: Dusk Summary Page 1
- This chapter is Starbuck’s soliloquy.
- Starbuck senses that, even though his soul is rebelling against Ahab’s plan for revenge, he’s going to continue supporting and helping Ahab as first mate.
- He hopes that they won’t be able to find the whale in the vast ocean. Maybe then Ahab’s blasphemous vengeance won’t be able to happen.
- When he hears the men partying down below, Starbuck is alarmed and disgusted by the "heathen crew" accompanying him on this voyage (38.2).
- He feels horrified by life and hopes he can fight against the evil things he senses.