The Sound and the Fury Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- There’s one Compson child who doesn’t get to narrate a section of the novel: Caddy. How does this affect the way you interpret her character?
- Is The Sound and the Fury a racist novel? Why or why not? (We know, we know, that’s a big question. Think about specific moments in the text which allow you to come to your conclusion.)
- How does starting with Benjy’s section affect the way you read The Sound and the Fury?
- Is the Compson family cursed? Are they to blame for their own tragedy? Why or why not?
- Is Caddy really the missing center of the novel?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...