Treasure Island Chapter 15 Summary
The Man of the Island
- Jim sees a shadow (either monkey or human) jump behind a rock.
- Jim tries to retrace his steps back to the beach and the Hispaniola.
- The dark figure reappears and catches up with Jim.
- Jim is so afraid of Long John Silver that he decides not to call for help; instead, he turns to face the figure.
- Jim is totally surprised when the figure throws himself to his knees as though begging Jim for mercy.
- The figure introduces himself as Ben Gunn. He has been marooned alone on this island for three years, living off oysters, berries, and goat meat. All he wants is a bit of toasted cheese.
- Ben tells Jim that he's become a god-fearing man again after all this time on the island.
- Ben promises Jim that he'll give him riches if he helps him.
- Ben asks Jim if he has come to the island on Flint's ship.
- Jim says no, but some of the men on the ship were Flint's men.
- Ben asks if one of them is a man with one leg, Long John Silver.
- Jim says yes, and Ben asks if he is on Long John Silver's side or not.
- Jim realizes that Ben may be an enemy of Long John Silver, so he explains the whole story of the Hispaniola's voyage.
- Ben promises to help in exchange for 1,000 British pounds of the treasure and free passage home.
- Ben tells Jim that he was sailing with Captain Flint when Flint buried his treasure on this island.
- Somehow Flint managed to murder six sailors single-handedly in order to keep the treasure's burial place secret.
- Billy Bones (the captain at the Admiral Benbow Inn from the early chapters of the novel) and Long John Silver were both on the ship at this time.
- Three years ago, Ben was sailing aboard another ship when they passed this island.
- Ben suggested that they stop and look for Flint's treasure.
- The captain of the boat wasn't happy about it, but the men insisted.
- They spent twelve days looking for the treasure but couldn't find it.
- After wasting almost two weeks, the sailors turned on Ben Gunn.
- They marooned him on the island along with a gun, a spade, and a pickax so that he could keep looking for Flint's treasure by himself.
- Having spent three years on the island by himself, Ben seems to have gone a little nuts.
- Still, he asks Jim to put in a good word for him with Squire Trelawney.
- Jim asks how he's supposed to get back on board the Hispaniola.
- Ben says he has a small boat and suggests that they try using it to row to the Hispaniola after dark.
- Ben and Jim hear the sounds of a fight breaking out.
- They run over quietly to see what's happening.
- They hear the sound of a cannon going off, followed by gunfire.
- There is a pause, then Jim sees the Union Jack (the British flag) flying over the forest.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search