Twilight Theme of Sacrifice
Stephenie Meyer presents Twilight's star, Bella, as a selfless character. Not only does she risk her life to keep her mother safe, but she also endures a lot of personal discomfort for her parents' happiness. Bella makes other sacrifices, which may not be entirely altruistic: she sacrifices her own personal safety for the sake of love, and is even willing to give up her own human life to be with Edward forever as a vampire. Besides Bella, the Cullens endure a monstrous sacrifice (pun intended!) by not eating humans, and they all accept a certain amount of inconvenience just by welcoming Bella into their lives. Edward is willing to give up absolutely anything to ensure Bella's safety.
Questions About Sacrifice
- Would Bella be making a true sacrifice by willingly becoming a vampire?
- Think about the Prologue. Is Bella's sacrifice a noble one?
- Is it worth sacrificing human life for immortality?
- Do you consider Bella a selfless character? Does she do anything that you would consider selfish? What about Edward?
- Throughout the book, does Bella make any sacrifices for Charlie's happiness and safety?