Statistics and Probability 6.SP.B.5
5. Summarize numerical data sets in relation to their context, such as by:
"Such as by"? Really, Common Core? That's how you end a standard?
Oh, wait. The sub-standards will tell us exactly how. For now, all we know is that we should expect students to summarize numerical data sets in relation to their context. Erm, what does that mean, exactly?
In short, students shouldn't be overwhelmed when looking at a data set. Instead, they should be able to pluck a few key pieces of information from the data and use those pieces to understand the general trend of the entire distribution. They should also understand what these values mean given the context of the data. After all, statistics is nothing if not contextual.
What are those key pieces of information that students need to pluck, you ask? Look to the sub-standards below for more details on that.
- Mean, Median, and Mode
- CAHSEE Math 1.4 Number Sense
- CAHSEE Math 1.5 Mathematical Reasoning
- CAHSEE Math 1.5 Number Sense
- CAHSEE Math 2.5 Number Sense
- CAHSEE Math 6.2 Algebra and Functions
- CAHSEE Math 6.2 Algebra I
- CAHSEE Math 6.2 Mathematical Reasoning
- CAHSEE Math 6.2 Measurement and Geometry
- CAHSEE Math 6.2 Number Sense