Ella Enchanted Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Because the novel is told from Ella's point of view, we get to see exactly how she feels when she tries to disobey a command. How might the novel look if it were told from a different perspective?
- Ella's mother dies early in the story, but we see enough of her to get a sense of who she is. How does this change the relationship of Ella Enchanted to other Cinderella stories?
- Pretty much anyone can make Ella's life miserable by giving her an order she doesn't want to obey, but some characters act less kindly than others. Who would you say is the most villainous character in the book?
- Language is a recurring theme in the book. What roles does language play in Ella's life, particularly in how she relates to the people around her?
- Compare and contrast Ella's language-centered encounters at the royal zoo and while on her way to the giant's wedding. How do her language skills help her navigate these situations?
- What are the various ways in which humans interact with magic and magical beings?
- If you were under Ella's curse, what would you do in order to protect yourself?
- In the Grimms' version of "Cinderella" the wicked stepsisters are punished by birds that peck out their eyes, thus blinding them. Do you think Hattie and Olive should have been punished for their treatment of Ella? Why or why not, and how?
- Summarize the novel's plot from either Hattie's or Olive's perspectives. How does imagining the story from their viewpoint change significant details?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis