Wuthering Heights Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Emily Bronte have so many different people telling this story? What is the effect of hearing the story filtered through so many different narrators? Are there characters that never get to tell their points of view?
- Do you continue to root for Heathcliff even knowing all of the horrible things he does? Why or why not? Do you think he is cruel? Is his cruelty justified?
- Are there any characters who are truly likable or sympathetic?
- How do spirits and the supernatural play a role in the story? How do they propel the plot?
- What is the effect of having the story take place in such an isolated place?
- Is the ending sad or happy?
- What part does social status and social climbing play in character behavior?
- What exactly is Heathcliff's obsession?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...