The House of Dies Drear Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does Mr. Small lock the door when Thomas is still outside on that first night in the new house? What evidence do you have for your answer?
- Why does it get on Thomas's nerves that his dad is so good at figuring things out? What are some of the reasons Mr. Small is able to figure things out so quickly?
- Why doesn't Mr. Small call the police when he finds the three triangles in his home, and the fourth one in his office? Why doesn't he call them when he and his family come home to find their kitchen vandalized? Would you call the police in a similar situation? Would your parents? Why?
- What would the story look like if the Darrows were the main characters? Is it possible to feel sympathy for them? Why or why not?
- What do you think Thomas's first day of school will be like? Why?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...