by Toni Morrison
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would the story in Sula be different if the main characters were men?
- The chapters are titled according to years. What might the purpose of this be? Does it add anything to our understanding of the story?
- There are two characters in the novel who are greatly affected by war. Why might this be important?
- What do you think happens in the twenty-five years that separate the last two chapters?
- Is there something significant about the unusual character names (like Chicken Little, BoyBoy, and Tar Baby)?
- What do you think is the significance of the Bottom's group death the tunnel at the end of the novel?
- If you had to choose a popular song to represent Sula, what would it be?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...