Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How have race relations changed in America since the 1950s?
- Read another one of August Wilson's plays, such as Joe Turner's Come and Gone or Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. How does it compare to Fences? Are similar themes explored in his other plays?
- How would the play be different if a character other than Troy were the protagonist? What if the action centered around Rose, for example? Gabriel? Bono?
- Is Troy Maxson a good man? How do you define what a good man is?
- How is Fences like a blues song?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis