Animal Farm Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- George Orwell subtitled Animal Farm "A Fairy Story." Why? Just for ironic effect, or is there some other reason? Why use animals and exaggeration instead of just writing a political essay?
- Does Orwell seem to have an ideal political system in mind? Would he approve of any leaders? Could the humans be good leaders if they weren't drunk and cruel?
- Why are pigs the Stalinists? Is Orwell insulting Stalin? Or is he insulting pigs?
- Does absolute power corrupt absolutely?
- What responsibility do the other farm animals / citizens of a country have to their leaders? Are we responsible for making sure that totalitarian governments don't take over, or is there nothing any of the farm animals could have done about it?
- Who seems to be wisest of the farm animals? Do they try to warn the others? If so, why does no one listen?
- Are the pigs portrayed as particularly smart? Is there something dangerous about their cleverness? If so, does Orwell seem to distrust smart people?
- What is the role of religion in Animal Farm? Do the farm animals have a kind of religion?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis