We have changed our privacy policy. In addition, we use cookies on our website for various purposes. By continuing on our website, you consent to our use of cookies. You can learn about our practices by reading our privacy policy.
© 2016 Shmoop University, Inc. All rights reserved.

College 101

Are You Sure?
Article Type: Quick and Dirty

Taking one test and getting high school out of the way may sound like a dream to you right about now.  No more lunchroom drama, A lot of famous people have felt the same way.  We just want to be sure you’ve considered all the implications of taking the GED before you plunge right in.

-Yes, most colleges and employers will look at your GED as the equivalent of a high school diploma. Note that we used the word “most” meaning some won’t. In fact, some universities (and the military for that matter) have higher admissions requirements for GED test-takers than high school grads. This may not seem fair but if you’ve been through middle school and even a portion of traditional high school, you already know that life is not fair. You’re going to have to GED over it because here comes more that isn’t fair…

"Caption: Popular hangout for dropouts."


-While GED holders will likely earn more than high-school dropouts, average salary is less than that for those who earned a diploma. Ouch.

-The GED is designed so that 40% of graduating high school seniors will not pass it. (Is that a scary thought? It should be.) Did you pay attention in school? Feel confident you’re in the other 60%?

Still planning on taking the GED? Great, we admire your determination. We just wanted to lay it all out for you.

    People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...