Great Expectations Chapter 46 Summary
- Pip gets lost trying to locate Clara's building, but he eventually finds it.
- As soon as Pip goes inside, he hears growling noises—it's Clara's dad, a mean alcoholic with gout.
- Clara is really pretty, and she and Herbert obviously looooove each other.
- Pip is also totally warming up to Magwitch. They won't be able to see each other or talk very often, but Herbert will communicate between them.
- Magwitch/Provis goes by a new name: Mr. Campbell.
- Pip and Herbert hatch a plan to get Magwitch out of town. It's fairly elaborate: Pip will start rowing a LOT, making it a habit, so that one day, when Pip rows by Mill Pond Bank, he can pick Magwitch up and the two can row away to a big ship that will take them to another country.
- Pip likes this idea, but he can't shake the feeling that he's being watched.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search