Great Expectations Chapter 47 Summary
- Weeks go by, and no word from Wemmick. The worries keep piling up.
- Even though he's hurting for money, Pip gives Herbert his wallet since he still doesn't feel right taking Magwitch's money.
- He also begs Herbert to never talk about Estella again.
- Pip continues to row, row, row his boat, and to wait for Wemmick to give the go ahead.
- One night in late February, Pip decides to take himself out for dinner and the theater.
- He eats some chops and then takes in Mr. Wopsle's Hamlet.
- At one point during the show, Mr. Wopsle stares right at Pip as though he sees a ghost. Pip is pretty certain that Mr. Wopsle isn't acting at that moment, and so he's a little spooked.
- After the performance, Mr. Wopsle tells Pip that he saw a ghostly man sitting right behind Pip, and that the man was the same man that had fought with Pip's convict on the marshes so many years ago.
- Pip tells Herbert and Wemmick about his encounter with Compeyson, and they decide to be uber cautious from now on, knowing that Magwitch's enemy is on the hunt.