Great Expectations Chapter 47 Summary
- Weeks go by, and no word from Wemmick. The worries keep piling up.
- Even though he's hurting for money, Pip gives Herbert his wallet since he still doesn't feel right taking Magwitch's money.
- He also begs Herbert to never talk about Estella again.
- Pip continues to row, row, row his boat, and to wait for Wemmick to give the go ahead.
- One night in late February, Pip decides to take himself out for dinner and the theater.
- He eats some chops and then goes to see Mr. Wopsle perform in a Christmas pantomime.
- At one point during the show, Mr. Wopsle stares right at Pip as though he sees a ghost. Pip is pretty certain that Mr. Wopsle isn't acting at that moment, and so he's a little spooked.
- After the performance, Mr. Wopsle tells Pip that he saw a ghostly man sitting right behind Pip, and that the man was the same man that had fought with Pip's convict on the marshes so many years ago.
- Pip tells Herbert and Wemmick about his encounter with Compeyson, and they decide to be uber cautious from now on, knowing that Magwitch's enemy is on the hunt.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search