Because of Winn-Dixie
by Kate DiCamillo
Because of Winn-Dixie Chapter 16 Summary
- When the Civil War began with the firing on Fort Sumter, Littmus W. Block was fourteen years old. After his dad enlisted as a Confederate soldier, Littmus lied about his age and signed up, too.
- He went off to be a hero, leaving behind his mama and three sisters. Well, it turns out that wasn't as much fun as Littmus thought it would be. Miss Franny claims the word 'war' should be a swear word.
- He was hungry, flea-bitten, freezing in winter, stinking in summer, and shot at. Repeatedly.
- He didn't die, obviously (since Miss Franny is around to tell the story), but war changed him.
- He walked all the way from Virginia to Georgia, and then he found the Yankees had burned his home away. Not only that, but his mama and sisters died of typhoid fever, and his daddy died in battle.
- Amanda and Opal agree (shocking!) this story is super sad, but Miss Franny's not done.
- Opal tries to get Winn-Dixie to stop having a snorefest, because she's dying to hear how someone can survive after losing everything.