Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What does each main character in Candide symbolize? What does Voltaire use each character for?
- Discuss Martin’s philosophical standpoint. Is he realistic, or overly pessimistic?
- How does the novel’s setting in time and place shape or not shape the perspective of each major character?
- What makes Candide a satire?
- What do you think of this ending? Why do the characters end up choosing a life of labor? Does Voltaire endorse this as a viable solution to suffering?