The Red Badge of Courage Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Does knowing that Crane had never personally experienced war change your view of the book and its accuracy/realism? Why or why not?
- Do you get a sense of Crane’s attitude toward his character Henry Fleming while reading? Does he respect Henry? Hate him? Mock him? Where do you see this most clearly?
- While you’re on it, how do Crane’s views differ from those of Henry’s? Particularly on topics like nature, God, and war?
- Are the themes explored in Red Badge only applicable to warfare, or can they help us understand other scenarios as well?
- Is Fleming a likeable character? A sympathetic one? Do you identify with him at all?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis