Twilight Chapter 5: Blood Type Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Later that day in the lunch room, Jessica informs Bella that Edward is sitting alone (he's without his family for the first time) and staring at Bella.
- Edward beckons Bella over to his table. Surprised by Edward's friendly behavior, Bella asks what's changed. She doesn't understand what he means when he claims that he's "giving up trying to be good" (5.29).
- Bella admits that's she's trying to figure out what Edward is – she hasn't forgotten his super-speed or super-strength on the day he saved her from Tyler's van. Edward thinks her theory that he was bitten by radioactive spiders (like Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spiderman) is stupid.
"What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?" [Edward] smiled playfully, but his eyes were impenetrable.
[...] "You're dangerous?" I guessed, my pulse quickening as I intuitively realized the truth of my own words. He was dangerous. He'd been trying to tell me all along. [...] "But not bad," I whispered, shaking my head. "No, I don't believe that you're bad."
"You're wrong." His voice was almost inaudible. (5.109, 112, 114-115)
- Edward doesn't go to Biology after lunch, and when Bella realizes that everyone will be pricking their fingers to determine their blood type, she nearly passes out. The thought of blood is too much for her.
- Mike volunteers to take her to the nurse, but outside of class, Edward pushes him away and carries Bella there himself. When Bella is feeling a bit better, Edward is determined to drive her home.
- During the car ride, Edward gets Bella to talk about Renée, her mom. Bella tries to get Edward to talk about his family, too, but he doesn't say much.
- When Edward says that he'll be out of town for the weekend, he makes a special request:
"Will you do something for me this weekend?" He turned to look me straight in the face, utilizing the full power of his burning golden eyes. [...] "Don't be offended, but you seem to be one of those people who just attract accidents like a magnet. So...try not to fall into the ocean or get run over by anything, alright?" He smiled crookedly. (5.311, 313)