To the Lighthouse
by Virginia Woolf
To the Lighthouse Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What is the effect of multiple voices narrating the story?
- Is Mrs. Ramsay a net positive, negative, or neutral force?
- What is the effect of the passage of time in the novel? Sometimes time goes by agonizingly slow, other times (like in Part Two) it just speeds by. What’s the deal with this?
- What’s the function of the "to" in the title? Why isn’t the title just, The Lighthouse?
- Just wanted to point out that Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay share some startling characteristics – the most important being tyranny. Yet, Mrs. Ramsay receives love and adoration while Mr. Ramsay is hated. Explore this a little more. What are the similarities and differences between Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay?
- Who wears the pants in the Ramsay household?
- Would you consider the ending a "happy ending"?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...