Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think that Emma has given up matchmaking for good?
- Is it possible to imagine a novel like Emma in which the heroine doesn’t get married at the end? (If not, do we ever believe her when she says she won’t get hitched?)
- Could a man be the central character of this novel? Why or why not?
- How important is it that this novel isn’t written in first person (from Emma’s point of view)? What perspective do we gain from the narrator’s additions to the text?
- Will Emma and Mr. Knightley be happy, or not? What passages in the text make you think so?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...