Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 34 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Wormtail unties Harry and gives him back his wand.
- Voldemort wants this to look like a real wizarding duel. (Not a complete and utter cheap shot on Harry, eh?)
- He instructs Harry to bow to him.
- Voldemort uses a spell to push Harry into bowing before Voldemort.
- Then, Voldemort casts the Cruciatus Curse on Harry.
- Voldemort demands that Harry beg him not to cast it again.
- Voldemort casts the Imperius Curse to try and make Harry beg him.
- Harry resists the Imperius Curse, as Moody taught him to do.
- Harry shouts, "I WON'T!" (34.20).
- Voldemort replies, "You won't? [...] You won't say no? Harry, obedience is a virtue I need to teach you before you die" (34.22).
- Harry dodges the Cruciatus Curse this time by ducking behind a tombstone.
- But Harry refuses to die hiding from Voldemort; he wants "to die upright like his father" (34.25).
- So he leaps out, readies his wand, and casts a disarming charm.
- Just as Harry casts his spell, Voldemort screams, "Avada Kedavra!" (34.27).
- And then, something really weird happens.
- A beam of light shoots out from Harry and Voldemort's wands.
- Harry pushes this beam of light as hard as he can, until Voldemort's wand vibrates hard.
- Voldemort looks "astonished, and almost fearful" (34.37).
- And then something shoots out of the end of Voldemort's wand: a ghostly shape of the arm he made for Wormtail.
- The shape of Cedric Diggory comes next, followed by Frank Bruce, and then Bertha Jorkins.
- Voldemort's "dead victims whispered as they circled the duelers, whispered words of encouragement to Harry, and hissed words Harry couldn't hear to Voldemort" (34.49).
- And then, Harry sees the ghost of his mother emerge.
- And the ghost of Harry's father soon appears too.
- Harry's father says, "When the connection is broken, we will linger for only moments ... but we will give you time ... you must get to the Portkey, it will return you to Hogwarts ..." (34.54).
- Cedric whispers, "Harry [...] take my body back to my parents, will you? Take my body back to my parents ..." (34.56).
- Harry suddenly breaks the connection with Voldemort's wand.
- The ghosts from Voldemort's wand swarm Voldemort.
- Harry runs to Cedric's body.
- He reaches it just as Voldemort shrieks, "Stand aside! I will kill him! He is mine!" (34.65).
- Harry summons the Triwizard Cup with his wand.
- The Portkey carries him away, along with Cedric's body.
Next Page: Chapter 35
Previous Page: Chapter 33