Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Cite This Page
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chapter 27 Summary Page 1
Mike Teavee is Sent by Television
- As you can imagine, Mike Teavee is on Cloud 9 after seeing this. He wants to know more, he wants to know everything: can you send a person from one place to another through television?
- Willy Wonka thinks that's crazy, but he also knows that nothing is impossible, so he says yes, he supposes that might be possible.
- Mike Teavee doesn't need to hear any more. Before they know it, he has run to the other side of the room and flipped the switch. A flash – and he's gone.
- Once more, we have some very panicked parents. They all crowd around the TV set, hoping for the best (although Wonka doesn't inspire much confidence with his comments).
- And after a very long, tense moment, Mike Teavee appears in the set, giddy as a schoolboy (which he is), but pocket-sized!
- Mike cannot care less that he is now the size of a hand – he is so excited to be the first person sent by television that nothing else matters. Except watching television, that is, which he insists he can still do.
- Willy really can't care less either, but to calm the parents down, he says he'll send Mike to the chewing-gum stretching machine to see if he can't be stretched right out. He'll get a little thinned out, but with Mr. Wonka's Supervitamin, he'll be just fine.
- Another hilarious discussion between panicked parents and not-so-panicked Wonka then takes place, and it ends with the Oompa-Loompas singing yet another song.
- This time, the song is about how terrible television is and how instead of watching TV, children should read. Yep, read. Like, say, Roald Dahl books?