by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak Chapter 16 Summary
- At dinner, Melinda's parents get all dramatic. They are mad because Melinda's progress reports have come and her grades are really bad.
- Dad orders her to get higher grades. Melinda doesn't say anything.
- Mom tells her the same things, but in a scary, pretend nicey-nice voice. Mom forces Melinda to look her in the eyes.
- Finally, Melinda does. Then she leaves the table and goes to her room.
- Mom and Dad fight with each other now, and Melinda listens to loud music to drown out the fighting noises.