The Book Thief
The Book Thief Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What is the effect of the mystery surrounding Max's life after his reunion with Liesel after the end of the war?
- Why does Liesel refuse to bathe after losing her brother and mother, and then again after losing everybody on Himmel Street?
- We don't know anything about Rosa's past, but what are some possible reasons that she thinks hitting children with wooden spoons is natural? What makes her change?
- Are the characters in The Book Thief believable? Why, or why not?
- How might the story look if it was told from Max's point of view? From Rosa's?
- Do you like Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel? Does it make you want to read his other books? Why or why not?
- What do you think of Death as the narrator? How does this impact the style of the novel? Could the novel have been better from another point of view? Why or why not?
- What questions, if any, does the novel leave unanswered?
- Could Liesel have trusted Rudy with the fact that Max was hiding in her basement? Why or why not? Do you think it hurt his feelings when he learned the truth? Why or why not?